The Shawshank Redemption is a classic film that people should watch at least once in their lifetime. Many things make this film great, but there are also things like the cast, cinematography, and script that make this film great. Here, we have shared our review of this amazing film so you may get to know the movie better.
The Shawshank Redemption – Plot & Storyline
“The Shawshank Redemption” is a movie that was released in 1994 and has since become very popular throughout the world. Such popularity comes from its ability to deliver life lessons through drama which people enjoy watching. The lessons are one of the reasons why many critics consider it to be a masterpiece. Since its release, many people have seen the film at least once in their lives despite initial box office failures.
The story of the movie the Shawshank redemption revolves around a banker, Andy Dufresne, accused of the double murder of his wife and her lover, who was cheating on him. Andy Dufresne is sentenced to two life sentences in prison – Shawshank state penitentiary. After two years of his imprisonment, Andy Dufresne talks to Red, a goods smuggler in prison, asking him for a rock hammer. Here starts the friendship of Red and Andy, which gets stronger later in the movie. Andy faces several problems in prison, but soon he was in the good books of all officers.
Honors and Awards for The Shawshank redemption
- Box office collection – the movie’s budget was $25 million, and it only earned $16 million during its initial runs.
- Awards- The Shawshank redemption was nominated for the most prestigious awards, The Oscars and The Grammys, and won several awards like the PEN Center USA award(1995), USC scripter award(1995), Humanitas prize(1995), and many more.
- In 2015, the United States, Library of Congress selected The Shawshank Redemption for preservation in the National Film Registry.
- The Shawshank Redemption became worldwide famous for its cinematography.
- Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins were appreciated worldwide for their roles as “Red” and “Andy.”
The novel Shawshank Redemption
The movie The Shawshank Redemption is based on a novel published in 1982. It was named Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption, written by Stephen King. Frank Darabont directed the film. The prisoners in the Shawshank State Prison played significant roles in the movie.
The Shawshank Redemption Cast
- Tim Robbins as Andy Dufresne
- Morgan Freeman as Ellis Boyd Redding
- Bob Gunton as Wardon Samuel Norton
- Clancy Brown as Captain Byron Hadley
- Gil Bellows as Tommy Williams
- James Whitmore as Brook Halten
- Willian Sadler as Heywood
- Mark Rolston as Bogs diamond
- Jeffrey Demun as District Attorney
- Renne Blain as Andy Dufresne’s wife
- Brian Libby as Floyd
- Don McManus as guard Wiley
- Claire Summer as Bank Teller
- Alfonso Freeman as Fresh Fish Con
Messages from the Shawshank Redemption :
Hope– Andy was punished for a crime that he never committed, but he had faith & hope. That hope helped him make a way out of the worst situations.
Consistency – consistency can beat anything. Andy could finally escape because he consistently worked on his plan. It seemed nearly impossible initially, but his character made it work. Also, he always sent letters to State Senet for six years to get funds for his library.
Friendship – Andy always helps his friends in prison, whether by building a library or getting them a beer, or helping them study. And at last, sending money to his closet friend Red and calling him at his place.
Mighty Brain – Andy was a banker, he knew how the system works, he helped the prison officers in their tax issued and money issues, at last, he managed to be a millionaire only because of his skills. It was only due to Andy’s challenging and intelligent work that he could escape being a millionaire and give Warden what he deserved.
FAQs from the movie The Shawshank Redemption
Ques: What does Shawshank mean?
Ans: The Shawshank means: Being put into a position that you can’t get out of either by yourself or others.
Ques: Is Shawshank Redemption a true story?
Ans: No, The Shawshank Redemption is based on a novel. this masterpiece happens to be among the best fiction written in the history of cinema.
Ques: What were the reasons that made the Shawshank redemption a flop movie?
Ans: The movie had competition when it was released. The Forest Gump, an Oscar-winning film, premiered at the same time. There was also relatively little female representation in the movie, which disappointed viewers. Additionally, the title seemed to be confusing to people who reviewed the movie negatively, which played to its disadvantage.
Ques: What made the Shawshank Redemption so famous?
Ans: First, the performance of the cast members was so excellent that and was appreciated worldwide. Viewers found the movie motivating.
Ques: Was Andy Dufresne innocent?
Ans: Yes, Andy Dufresne was innocent. Tommy’s former cellmate Elwood Blatch killed his wife and her lover. Andy happens to be at the crime scene and was framed as a murderer.